headline

Training, racing, gear, facial hair styles and thoughts from my push to become an elite cyclist.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Moots YBB Decal Replacement


A few weeks ago I posted pictures of the new decal set for my YBB.  After several hours with Carrie's hair dryer...I mean heat gun I was able to remove the decals. 


What I wasn't counting on was the shadow that the decals would leave behind as you can see here.  I had planned on relocating some of the decals for a more distinctive look, but my plans were foiled when I realized that the wear around the decals meant that the pristine decal-covered finish underneath meant that those parts of the frame were going to say "Moots" whether I put a decal there or not.  The positive was that I had an easy reference when applying the new ones over top.

It's slow work peeling decals, and it's best accomplished with the use of heat, fingernails and time.


When I finally got all of the old decals removed I used some nail polish remover...I mean acetone, to clean off the residue.  Nail polish remover...I mean acetone, is nasty stuff and I didn't want it lingering on the frame so I then used rubbing alcohol...I mean cleaning solvent, to remove the...acetone.







I did get slightly creative on some of them.  I left the top tube clear of stickers, but that might change down the road if I opt to apply some of my Pro-35 decals.




The "YBB" was relocated to be on the monostay.  It seemed fitting since that's the key feature that gives the bike it's unique personality.  I also thought it might alleviate the second most frequent question I get when I encounter another rider on the trail.  The first question is usually "is that a Moots?" which is invariably followed up with "is it a YBB?"  At least now I can point to the sticker on the slider, making it double obvious.



Almost all of the decals returned to their normal places with the exception of the "Handmade in the Rockies" on the driveside chainstay.  It's not that I mind that sticker, but it's located half under clear chainstay protector so the part that's exposed gets pretty beat up and grease covered.


You'll notice the massive amounts of snow in the background.  It always amazes me how many bike upgrade pictures are taken in the winter, presumably because that's when most of us in the frigid north need to replace some of our outdoor bike riding time with indoor bike fiddling time. 

It's a poor substitute. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment