headline

Training, racing, gear, facial hair styles and thoughts from my push to become an elite cyclist.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Mid-Race Thoughts and Inappropriate Music

It would seem that racing brings out some very strange attributes of my psyche, and the mid-race soundtrack is a great example of this. When things are going well I'll be rolling along pushing the pedals to something fairly upbeat and motivating. When things aren't going well it's anybody's guess what might pop into my head.

This season the race soundtrack has included
"Atlas Air" by Massive Attack
"Stronger" by Kanye West
"Demon Seed" by Nine Inch Nails
"The Becoming" by Nine Inch Nails
"O-Saya" by A.R. Rahman

and recently
"Blindess" by The Fall
and
"War Pigs" by Cake

I should say that when things are going well some parts of those songs are on repeat.

Finding the groove and racing at full throttle is one of the most fulfilling things I've ever experienced, and it's one of the biggest reasons why I keep racing. I know I can control my thoughts, but sometimes I slip, even if it's only for a little bit.

When things haven't gone well this season the soundtrack has been far more eclectic, and frankly embarrassing. I think these songs were playing at grocery stores, gas stations and other places where you'd expect to find shitty music. When my guard is down they sneak into my subconscious and manifest when I'm weak and start to doubt myself...like yesterday when I saw the 3 laps to go sign and I thought I only had 1 more in the tank.

So without further ado, here are the songs that marked poor or unfocused performance:

"Tonight Tonight" by Phil Collins
"I'd Drive All Night" by Celine Dion

and the all-time best

"Paint With All the Colors of the Wind" by Vanessa Williams, the theme song to Disney's Pocahontas.

No comments:

Post a Comment